WHY I DECIDED TO TAKE PHOTOGRAPHY CLASSES

 
This week I've started taking photography classes, something I wanted to do for over 10 years now. I've been taking pictures since my teens, and always felt atracted by both the artistic expression, and the documental sides of it.
Beeing an enthusiast and a photography lover myself, you'd ask: "What've took you so long?"... Well, I actually don't know. You shouldn't delay the things you love so much, right?
Why now? And why take classes when there's so much free information out there?
The truth is, there's an increasing amount of things you don't have to take a course on to actually practice it, being it both as a professional, or as an amateur. Photography, is one of them.


I started seriously growing my interest in photography since I discovered Lomography and analog photography, and I didn't stop ever since.
I've been whatching youtube videos and tutorials from the technicalities, composition, history and even on the business side of photography, collecting books and prints (both mine and from well known authors) and there's nothing better than going for a walk or exploring a new country with your favourite camera.
But, then again, why now? Well, digging into this world, I've been discovering that there are so many cameras, techniques and gear, as there are styles, genres  and artistic expressions, and, being shooting for a few years now, and studying all about photography by myself, I feel it's time to reach for another level.



There are as many reasons you should take photography classes, as there are reasons you should't. Here are my top three on why you SHOULD.

1. Know what you're doing
This is a little basic, but you really should know your camera, and how does it work. Oubviously this is something you'll only manage to do with time and experience, but there are the basic principles of photography, both technical and artistic, that don't change from camera to camera. Apperture, speed, exposure and focus are as important as composition, dinamic and framing. Master your full stops to the point you don't even need to think about them anymore. Should you have to take classes for this? Well, in my oppinion, and having learnt a little about all of this by myself (thanks to the internets) I really think it's faster to master all of your camera functions if you can use of a little help - expecially if it's from a professional who really knows what his or her is doing, right?

2. Pratice makes perfection
If you're new to photography, or are struggling to find your style, practicing will be of maximum importance to you. Experiment and try new poses, models, techniques, locations and times of the day, find what fits for you and how you want to express yourself in your art. Taking classes will help you to open new doors to new forms of art and genres. Thus you will meet new people who are facing the same struggles as you, people who can help you with what you don't know yet, and hopefully you won't feel so lonely in the pursue for your craft.

3. Use some guidance
Having a teacher,  an instructor, a mentor or simply someone you can look up to only will help and guide your steps during the learning process. Photography has much of a learning curve if you're thinking on learning it all by yourself. If you have that time to spend, or if you enjpy the discovery process, that's totally fine, but if you're really digging to shoot, or making photography into your way of life as quick as possible, than seriously consider take a few classes. If you can't afford classes, or are not sure if this craft is right for you, then try some workshops or meetings in your local comunity, and give it a try first.


So, that's it! These were my top 3 reasons why I decided to take photography classes, learn from experts and improve my knoledge on this subject, something I've been wanting to do from a long time now. It makes me really happy, and nervous at the same time, but I think I'll love the experience.
Hopefully I'll use my assignments and learning process as content for this blog. Until then, you can find me on Instagram, as I'll update dayly-ish from there.

Until next week, see you in the next blog post!

Comments