AN ESSAY ON SPACE PORTRAITURE AND LIVING ARCHITECTURE


I have a thing for space... This year, one of my resolutions was to shoot more iconic buildings, giving them that human dimension they were designed and shaped into. But lets not forget the other, more mundane, not so "beautiful", and with less of an aesthetic sense ones, because they also shape the space we move and live in. I have a thing for those spaces too, and believe there's a visual quality in some places we don't expect to find this sort of contemplative characteristic.

I'm slowly, but steadily, developing my own style as a photographer. Rich textures, high contrasts, diagonals and triangles, as well as bringing the viewer inside the scene are becoming common traits within my photos.



This last one I think is what pulls my work apart from other architecture photographers'. I'm being honest when I say I like the luminous and immaculate architecture pictures we're used to see on Instagram and on the most popular on-line platforms and printed magazines. But, the truth is, when I'm behind the camera, I usually fall into this urge to communicate Architecture's extremely human dimension. Doing so isn't a conscious process, but it's the result that ultimately I produce.

I think space perception is not always in the public mind and, in fact, in most of architects' minds also, resulting in this general collection of iconic, yet cold, architecture photographs.





I must confess I almost never think about composition while shooting. I'm attracted to space, images, and to some casual and spontaneous scenes. It's while I'm post-processing that I actually read the images and study their composition, so I might describe myself as an organic photographer: a photographer of the moment, of the atmosphere and of the sensations. And then there's my attraction to geometric shapes and architectural forms and ambiences. I guess visual culture plays a major role when you're out there shooting.

And this is my personal research: portraying architecture from the viewer's eye, capturing the way one can live and feel. From within. From the core.

"I agree that all good photographs are documents, but I also know that all documents are certainly not good photographs. Furthermore, a good photographer does not merely document, he probes the subject, he 'uncovers' it"

Berenice Abbott

1898 - 1991



Comments